September 11th: Rocky Crispy Crunch Bars
Kcal 85 Fat 3.7g Fat(sats) 2.7g Carbs 7.9g
You guys have really struck lucky this week as I have included a mini product review of these NEW Rocky Crispy Crunch Bars for you to digest with the usual '7Days of Chocolate Reviews' post. Extra keen ChocolateMission readers might recall my original review of the Rocky Caramel (See HERE November 2009) in which I stated "On the whole I think the Rocky Caramel is far from being the best chocolate bar ever, but for the price you can't argue with what it offers". True this maybe, but to be totally honest with you I hadn't repeat purchased any sort of Rocky product until I saw these new Crispy Crunch bars in Sainsbury's this week. Indeed sitting on the shelf price marked down to 69p (half price offer) the brightly coloured blue packaging caught my eye as I browsed the biscuit bar area as I shopped for some items for an upcoming 'Bits n Bobs' post.
On the wrapper, Fox's promise 'milk chocolate covered crispy wafer and crunchy biscuit bars', which isn't a proposition far removed from many other offerings in this category. Aesthetically I thought the product looked rather good and I was pleased to see that the bars were at least twice the size of the other Rocky variants. At first sight it was hard to determine the biscuit from the wafer constituents as the centre of the bar was jumbled and lacking any sort of layering - something I hope you can determine from my photograph above.
So how did they taste!? Well I have to say these actually turned out to be a pleasant surprise. As I expected the chocolate quality wasn't great with the sugar based flavours contributing far more than the milk and cocoa than I desired. Although the chocolate wasn't exactly brilliant, it at least wasn't all that strongly flavoured so it let the inner cereal, biscuit and wafer constituents have a grander say in the overall flavour creation. The combination of the malty crisp wafers, buttery crunchy biscuits and light textured rice cereal elements made for a variable and interesting taste that I got more pleasure from than I was expecting.
Overall I wouldn't rate these up there with the king of the chocolate biscuit bars like the Kit Kats or Twixs of this world, but if you fancy trying something a little different from your ordinary Rocky biscuit I don't think you can go far wrong with these new Crispy Crunch bars. They aren't going to set anyone's world alight but I can see them sticking around as I think the simple proposition will have mass appeal.
7.0 out of 10
News from the chocolate market
* Kraft secures major cocoa deal with Barry Callebaut ... See HERE
* Nestle are bringing a new variation of the Kit Kat Senses to market ... See HERE
* Profits are worryingly down at Thorntons ... See HERE
* Wales online are reporting that chocolate is good for us :) ... See HERE
Have I missed anything this week? Be sure to share your chocolate stories ...
Posts from other blogs I enjoyed this week
* Foodstufffinds - Cin got stuck in to some of Hotel Chocolat's Vintage Buttons. Hotel Chocolat 40% house milk chocolate, theres nothing quite like it ... See HERE
* Candyblog - Cybele took a look at product that is meant to be making its way to UK shores sometime soon. Unfortunately she wasn't all that impressed with the dodgy textured Werthers Originals Caramelts ... See HERE
* GiGi Reviews - Being 20+ years old I don't generally find myself drinking chocolate milk anymore :D If I did I might want to take a look at this Broguiere's Chocolate Milk which comes highly recommended by GiGi ... See HERE
* Gone Chocco - In the land 'Daaaaaaaan Unda' Kath has been checking out Cadbury's bar of Plenty range ... See HERE
* Chocolate Reviews - Lee put together a nice write up of his adventures at The Speciality Chocolate Fair 2010. I wish I could have gone, but there is always next year ... See HERE